Our Boat

Our Boat
Westsail 32, s/v Harbinger

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bathroom Mimis

I gave away my hair dryer. I didnt think I'd have room for it or power enough in the boat. Now after my shower I use the hand dryer in the bathroom. It actually does a nice job, takes two pushes and my hair is mostly dry.



I just turn the blower up and voila it's a hair dryer.

The shower is different for us, but we are getting used to it. My son and I now have to take showers together, something we didn't do too much in our home. He usually took a bath and played in the water. Now he either goes with me or hubby, and we have to pay 0.25 cents for 3 minutes of hot water. A quick shower with him is 3 quarters, we can take our time with a dollar shower, that gives us 12 minutes. 


We use the handicapped shower since it is bigger, and he uses the sprayer while the shower head keeps working. Overall we are getting used to this, at first it was weird. Now we have our shower bag with our coin purse and Dr. Bonners (we use for body wash and shampoo). The bad part is when we have to wash his hair, he doesn't listen and sometimes puts his head down and gets soap in the eyes. It burns, so he screams. You would think he would listen to one of us, he does it with both of us. I may just go back to Johnson and Johnson no tear shampoo, has lots of chemicals, but won't make him scream. It's a trade off, maybe there is a natural no tear shampoo, I'll have to research this.

My hubby tells me shaving in men's bathroom is difficult. For two reasons, first there is only one sink in the shower area and there are definitely more men in the marina than women and the showers,are busy on men's side. Secondly, the sink is automated so he has to put his hand under it a couple times for it to get warm to rinse his razor off. He is still shaving, cut off his long beard a while back and keeps a small gotee. And he actually let me buzz his head with the new clippers, I guess he is finally trusting me. I am now the designated hair cutter.  


So here is our marina bathroom. They clean it regularly, that is good. They also stock nice thick paper towels on shower side, I use them for all sort of things, cleaning my flip-flops and washing my face. Some people store their toiletries on the shelf above bench. I have not done that yet. In our laundry room, there is a cabinet and all the Live aboards store their detergent and dryer sheets in there. We gladly stored our huge detergent jug in there so we don't have to lug it back n forth, but that is another topic all together - laundry. (Size matter in these small spaces, so big jugs for some things are impractical, we are learning!)

We don't currently have a shower in the boat, we do have a solar camping shower and had a corroded shower head in cockpit lazarette that we tossed. One day when we get other more important things done, we will figure this out. We are preparing ourselves mentally to take fewer showers. I'm down to one every three days, and hubby about every other day. Of course on the dirty project days, we take an extra shower. By myself I can usually do a quick shower with 2 quarters, 6 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment