Our Boat

Our Boat
Westsail 32, s/v Harbinger

Friday, August 2, 2013

Cleaning Port Windows and Mosquito/Bug Netting

Naturally I clean the port windows with Vinegar, which works very well. The windows themselves leaked and were resealed with new gaskets and caulking in between glass by hubby. Now most of them do not leak, yeah. We have a few windows that we have to take out completely and find new bolts (somewhere? As of yet we haven't found them) and seal the whole thing, who knew there were so many parts to a port window.

Anyhow, with warm days the windows stay open and the bugs come in. As more flies came in, I lay on the sette, burning up, I think to myself there has to be something to cover those windows! Then off to Joann's fabric I went. First trip I bought the white mosquito netting at $2 per yard, and some cream colored nylon netting fabric at $1.50 per yard. I spent about $15 on this first trip. I cut some of the netting and I need something to keep it in place inside the window, and also figure out something for the hatches. Second trip to Joanns, we found these embroidery hoops made of wood, this trip cost about $20. Our galley port windows are 9 inches so the 9 inch hoop worked perfectly, but our head and v-birth windows are 7 1/2 inches, so I had to buy the 8 inch hoop and cut to fit.

Once I cut and measured to fit the windows, I cut the netting and put it into the hoop, as if I would use it for embroidery, then I hot glued the inside around the edge and pushed it into the window. I almost forgot to add a pull string so i can easily remove from window instead of grabbing at netting to pull them out, I tied the string to outer larger hoop and hot glued it. Now with hoops in place it allows me to open and close the windows without having to remove the hoop. The first day I put them up we went down from 6 flies to 2 flies, the next day we had just 1 fly, I was so excited. 





The hatches I haven't quite finished.  The salon hatch I used fishing line and sewed around the edge making it taunt around the hatch so we can open and close without having to remove the netting, this works really good. But our forward hatch in the v-birth I tried to custom make it with the wind scoop and it came out to small, so I have to redo this and figure out how to make a netting and also attach the wind scoop, a work in progress. Then the companion way hatch we've just lay a large piece of netting around it, and I'm thinking I'll use the fishing line with weights so that it will keep the netting in place and we can easily lift it up and down, to get in and out. I'll update those finished projects later.


No comments:

Post a Comment