Our Boat

Our Boat
Westsail 32, s/v Harbinger

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Homemade Detergent

I have never made so many homemade products before. This homemade detergent recipe I researched several and tweaked to my liking and it works great, easy to make, cleans the clothes good, hypoallergenic, and cheap!

Here are the ingredients: (I found them at local store, but some stores don't carry all what you'll need so some people mentioned they went to a hardware store to get the washing soda and Borax), I also make 1 gallon at a time because my stock pot isn't large and I don't have a lot of room.

1/2 cup washing soda (1.6lbs cost $7)
1/2 - 1 cup Borax (4lbs cost $5)
1/2 bar soap grated (I used an herbal bath soap bar on sale for a $1 at local co-op)
1 gallon of water
Optional : 10-20 drops lavender or other essential oil (cost $6 for whole bottle)

A total cost of $13 for these ingredients.

Place grated soap and1/2 gallon water in stock pot on medium to high heat and stir.  


When grated soap is dissolved add Borax and washing soda, bring to boil, keep stirring. 











For some people it coagulates, mine just had suds on edges of pot and looked pretty liquidy, but I boiled it and figured that was good, so I took it off the heat, let cool.


Once cooled add the remaining water in my gallon jug, about 1/2 gallon was left. I stirred well and noticed the solution got thicker, the first time it almost looked like half done jello, this time it's more like liquid.



I then added a 10 drops essential oil, the soap I used had a green earthy smell so I thought lavender would smell good.



I got my funnel and poured it into the gallon jug. 




Days later the first solution looked like half done jello, but it poured easy and washes the clothes well (we use front load washers at the marina). I use a small plastic cup to pour a pre-measured amount into washer, it measures about 1/2 cup.

Happy washing!


My first batch I made in late July is now depleted, the gallon lasted 2 months. I typically do 3-4 front loads of laundry each week, I estimate that I got 28 loads from this gallon. 

Today, September 18th,  I plan to make two gallons, and use remainder of grated bar of soap. The box of borax is 3/4 full, even after using some for another cleaner, have lots more to go. The laundry soda is 3/4 full too. I am planning to experiment this time with each batch, adding more borax and some essential oils. Trial and error is the spice in life!



No comments:

Post a Comment