Our Boat

Our Boat
Westsail 32, s/v Harbinger

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Walking by the Water

Almost every evening I walk our dog at the edge of the water. I absolutely love the water.

As I walk next to the water I noticed other people are drawn to it too. There are people who just want to be alone and sit at the water's edge. Then there are the couples sitting closely looking out at the water. And of course there are the other people, who want to be in the water, in a boat or canoe or paddle boat or kayak. 

I'm not sure why I love the water so much? I used to be one of those people who sat alone or with someone and just looked at the water. I've always love to swim in any water. And I always enjoyed riding in a boat I just didn't grow up spending every summer on a boat or around boats. I acclimated pretty good to the water and the waves, only once on a trip to Catalina Island did I get a little sea sick on a charter boat. Every boating trip I took I enjoyed the ride on the water, I just didn't do a lot of boating and I never did ride in a sailboat. The sailboat experience did not occur until we took our class last year, just before me and hubby turned 40.

Growing up my sister and I spent many summers at the beach, soaking up the sun, playing in the sand, and swimming in the water. My parents let us hang out at the beach all summer long when we were teenagers, while they worked. We loved it, not sure if my parents did.

My dad was probably more a water lover than my mom, maybe that is where my love for water comes from. He was an avid swimmer and diver in his younger years and owned a motor boat when I was a teenager. I loved to go with him and learn how to operate the boat, it was so much fun. My mom and sister did not like it too much, as they get seasick pretty easy, so they went on very few boating trips.

Thinking back at how much time I spent admiring the water, I knew I felt comfort next to it. When we were planning our move onto the boat, I never questioned whether I could live on the water, I already knew I loved it and desired to be near it.

Now living on the water I feel like this is where I am destined to be. Living, loving, and floating on the water.

Here is a picture from one of our evening walks.



No comments:

Post a Comment