Our Boat

Our Boat
Westsail 32, s/v Harbinger

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Camping Trip, Time Away

Sometimes living in the marina I get the fever. It's like cabin fever, so I call it marina fever.

Hubby says I'm restless, and I guess at times I am.  However, the other live aboards talked about their need to get away, and some have left for a month or months then return refreshed. I wonder if it is the constant coming and going of your neighbors, or the same beautiful view every day you get spoiled with. Not quite sure why I get this marina fever, it could also be the space we live in is quite small and with a rambunctious three year old tight quarters is constraining. Anyhow, whatever the reason I explained to hubby that I need a break from the boat/marina, so we went on a camping trip to Mt. St. Helens.

We enjoyed a camp fire the first night, and paid $23 per night to the state so we can sleep on dirt. The second day we visited the volcano on federal lands, and learned there are many restrictions, warnings with possible fines, and fees. We viewed it and promptly left. As we returned to the campsite we were hit with a ban on campfires, ugh. We got a little perturbed with this state campground and their quick burn ban, but we had already paid for our second night, so we took off for a drive. 

Our drive brought us to the Columbia river, almost where it dumps into the Pacific. I have to say this part of the river was beautiful, there are years of history along that river. Unfortunately, other parts of the river were quite depressing, it was littered with industry. If the day had not reached its end, we may have made it to the mouth of this giant river, but night was quickly approaching and we turned back to our overpriced campsite.

Overall, the trip was a learning experience about ourselves and how much we like our space away from bureaucracy. 



Our campsite.


A big volcano.

No comments:

Post a Comment